Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Ten days down

Ten days back on competition prep and I feel like I never left. In a good way. I am remembering and realizing how much better it feels to have meals scheduled throughout the day, pre-planned and pre-measured amounts of food used to fuel the body for the tasks assigned for the day. I have given myself a lot more freedom with my diet and it is actually working better for me. I'm not as strict with getting the exact right source of protein or vegetables and if I have an extra serving of fruit or veggies, I'm not punishing myself. AND, as I just mentioned, we added fruit back in for this round of dieting. I have done more research and fruit doesn't need to be eliminated, just used appropriately, and it is making a huge difference in my mental state. Fruit is sweet, so it feels like a treat and that is something I like to have every day. I don't feel deprived at all, I feel empowered. I know the struggles I faced last time and I am changing my mindset on how I am approaching them. That's all it comes down to, how you mentally prepare yourself and how you choose to look at the challenges. I know that each challenge I faced last time, resulted in this amazing, unbelievable physique and it is what keeps me motivated. I did it before, I can do it again, and I will do it again, better.

My approach the last 10 days:
1) Like I said prior, variation in diet. As long as my weight doesn't go up, I'm not going crazy on whether or not I have fish instead of chicken, or broccoli in stead of spaghetti squash.
2) My workouts are total opposite to what I was doing before. Last time I was concerned about losing muscle so I kept my weights heavy and rest periods the normal minute between. This time I am keeping the intensity high during each lifting workout, with active rest periods and lots of plyometrics in between. I'm not doing so much steady state cardio, 2-3x a week for about 40 minutes, but am definitely incorporating a lot more sprints. I need to trim down my legs a lot more and sprints seems to be the most efficient and suggested way of accomplishing that. And I really like the sprints, 20-25 minutes and your done.
3) I'm not as stressed about getting each of my meals in at the exact right time. If I'm 20 minutes early or a half hour late, not a huge deal. I need to keep this a maintainable lifestyle and allowing room for flexibility seems to be key.
4) Similar to #3, I am not getting anxious about hitting my workouts at the times I think I need to (based around my food intake and work schedule). When I get them done, that when they get done. Can't predict everything and need to keep the flexibility.

Goals:
1) Maintain this mentality
2) Successfully move and obtain a new position as a personal trainer in Vermont while maintaining my diet and workout regime.
3) Continue to kick butt in my workouts

I'm still not doing any measurements, just keeping track of my weight for fun. I can feel a difference and that is enough of a change for me to stay motivated, the numbers have no value in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you hun. Stay focused and str Ing. You got this! Enjoy this experience!!

    ReplyDelete