Saturday, January 11, 2014

Countdown to Doomsday.... Wait, I mean Countdown to Competition

T-minus 12 weeks.

Over the last few months I have figured more out. More about diet, training and competition prep. Although I was not ready for my anticipated competition back in November, I used the last two months to continue "bulking up" and building the muscle that is needed to compete as a figure athlete. Now, with 12 weeks out from our first competition, we are starting to "cut".  I am feeling more mentally prepared for this competition prep.

I say we because I have convinced two other ladies to participate in the competition with me. First one being a client who has participated in the last 2 seasons of my weight loss competition has lost at least 30 pounds and like 30 something inches along with about 10% body fat. I noticed through her transformation that she developed muscle quite well and I asked her if she ever though about competition. She was onboard right away. Second lady is the owner of the gym I train in. She builds muscle just as easily as I do, so I knew she would be a good candidate for a figure competition. She decided to take a break from marathon training to join our journey. Having two other friends enduring the same daunting task will make the process a little less lonely.

My diet is planned and macronutrients are balanced. There can be no swaying from this, nothing added, nothing subtracted. A bite of something here or there....ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN NOT!!! When trying to transform your body, every single thing you put into your body has an effect on you. You may not notice it, but things like insulin and bloating are easily disrupted by certain foods. I don't want to mess this process up, everything I eat will be preplanned and part of my macronutrients. I have planned out my diet for the next 15 weeks. I realize it may change as time passes and I will need to reevaluate my progression. But why 15 weeks of diet when the competition is only 12 weeks away? I've been reading a lot of horror stories of competitors who finish their first competition and then after weeks of restrictions they are cleared from dieting and then binge for days. They were never told of having a post competition plan to reintroduce regular, healthy eating.

Starting this week, I have started a muscle maintenance plan. Keeping my weights moderate, instead of trying to lift super heavy all the time, and doing a few more reps. I love lifting weights, I could do it all flippin day!! However, this week also starts the cardio bandwagon. I ran cross country in highschool and since then have probably ran an average of 10 miles.....a year, excluding last year when I ran a tough mudder. I HATE CARDIO!!! Not going to lie or beat around the bush, there is nothing enjoyable about it to me. I don't ever get that "runners high" and usually end up with sore joints afterwards(knees, ankles, feet). I know that once I do more of it, it will get easier and affect me less. Most of my cardio will be steady state for now, 5 days of 30-45 minutes, and then I will add in some HIIT cardio in a few weeks. I'm trying to slowly use cardio to burn fat, I don't want to do a whole lot of it at first and then burn out of my options for fat burning later on.

We are now starting to focus on competition day prep. We need to start scheduling and planning such tasks as tanning, waxing, posing practice, hair and makeup trials, and actually registering for the competition. This sport can be quite expensive. From what we have established so far registration runs $70-90, then you have to buy membership to the league ~$50, drug testing (everyone who competes is required to do a polygraph) $45, suits are between $200 all the way up to thousands of dollars, then you have hair, makeup, nails, waxing, tanning.....it adds up quick. I spoke to a male competitor and he said it cost his $6,000 to do a show!!! Well I know I won't spend that much, but I can see where things start to add up. Might have to sell some nonessential organs on the black market to fund this project!! Oh well, I'll figure it out.


1 comment: